Neurogenic erectile dysfunction
Erectile dysfunction is a condition characterized by the inability to achieve and/or maintain a high-quality erection to perform a full-fledged sexual intercourse. In most cases, we are talking about a disease or a complex of disorders in which the problem with erection is concomitant. In particular, according to the publication ahealthyman.com, 10% of patients are diagnosed with neurogenic erectile dysfunction associated with neurological disorders: central, peripheral or mixed.
Causes of occurrence
The main provoking factors are spinal cord injuries, diabetic neuropathy and conditions after radical surgical interventions in the pelvic organs. Also among the common reasons:
- degenerative processes of intervertebral discs;
- infectious, tumor lesions of the spinal cord;
- transverse myelitis;
- injuries, brain tumors;
- cerebral insufficiency;
- multiple sclerosis.
If erectile dysfunction has an organic nature, then a typical manifestation is the gradual extinction of sexual activity. With problems of psychological etiology, the situation is more complicated, since difficulties arise immediately before or during sexual intercourse. At the same time, a man retains a morning erection and, as a rule, the ability of self-satisfaction.
It is necessary to consult a urologist for consultation if the following signs are observed:
- accelerated ejaculation;
- lack of erection in the morning;
- inability to cause a persistent erection during masturbation;
- slowing down the onset of an erection or its complete absence, even with strong arousal.
The main manifestations of neurogenic ED
The severity of the problem can be either insignificant or serious, up to the complete impossibility of performing sexual intercourse. Erectile dysfunction always leads to mental disorders. The man is constantly in a bad mood, a state of irritability and nervousness. He avoids intimate contacts in every possible way, feeling insecure about his own capabilities, which leads to an increase in stress, prolonged depression and the development of mental disorders.
Consultation with a urologist or andrologist is necessary for:
- decrease in number, complete disappearance of spontaneous erections;
- loss of elasticity of the penis in an excited state;
- inability to perform full-fledged sexual acts with orgasm and ejaculation;
- the appearance of the need to additionally stimulate the penis to insert it into the vagina;
- insufficient intensity of erection;
- decreased ability to perform repeated sexual acts during the day.
Features of therapy
Treatment of neurogenic erectile dysfunction is aimed at eliminating its main causes. The complex of measures and the duration of the therapeutic course are determined individually. A significant improvement in the condition and restoration of sexual function in this form of ED is achieved in more than 80% of cases. If concomitant organic pathologies are detected, medication or surgical treatment is prescribed. Therapy is carried out in stages, in accordance with the nature and scope of the diagnosed disorders.
It allows you to eliminate:
- vagoinsular, sympathetic-adrenal pathologies;
- psychoemotional disorders;
- androgen deficiency;
- peripheral polyneuropathy;
- consequences of traumatic brain or spinal cord injuries;
- formations in the prostate gland and/or rectum (gentle nerve-sparing operations are performed).
They affect the root cause of the disease, allowing you to eliminate the pathological process or minimize its manifestations. In particular, MC specialists have access to biologics that:
- affect the pathogenesis of ED;
- restore the functionality and conductivity of nerve fibers;
- reduce the severity of the symptoms of the disease;
- normalize autonomic control over the nerve centers involved in the regulation of copulatory function;
- improve the psycho-emotional state.
Shock wave therapy (UHT)
UVT has been used in urology for many years, but this technique has become available to the average patient relatively recently. Due to the favorable effect of acoustic waves on the vessels, it demonstrates a high result in the treatment of ED. Thus, blood circulation in the penis and pelvis is stimulated, which gives a noticeable effect after 1-3 procedures.
Among the main advantages of UVT:
- almost complete absence of contraindications;
- good patient tolerance;
- pronounced stimulation of metabolic and regenerative processes;
- active growth of new cells and expansion of the circulatory network;
- resorption of fibrous structures;
- absence of unpleasant and painful sensations;
- the ability to reduce the drug load or completely refuse to take medications;
- no side effects;
- achieving a stable result when completing a full course;
- the possibility of avoiding surgical intervention.
It should be remembered that timely seeking medical help is a key factor in the treatment of ED, because pathological processes are much easier to reverse at the initial stages of the disease.